Friday, December 21, 2007

Another Sick Day...

It doesn't seem that long ago that my baby girl was sick, but got over it pretty quickly on the yogurt, which in turn saved me a trip to the doctor.

I faced the same challenge again, although this cold seemed a little worse, and as always, I was a little bit worried. I pretty well refuse to take my kids to a doctor anymore since all they want to do is give them antibiotics and drugs, which haven't worked for my kids anyway in the past.

So far, for over a year now, we have done great with treating our ills at home the old fashioned ways, and with a big boost from yogurt.

So when she came down with this cold, I just started letting her eat whatever she wanted, as long as it had nutritional value. Spaghettio's is good because it has a full serving of veggies in it, and she loves spaghettio's.

I also bought her some non-medicated saline nose drops for her nose. Last time I talked to my mom, she told me how there is no medication in them, but it seems to be the quickest way she gets over a cold, so thought I would try it this time.

So I have, and even aside from the reassurance that it is drug free, it also really frees up her airways in her nose! Her nose looks really great after I spray some in there and in fact she seems to feel better as well.

So she has been on this regiment for the last 3 or 4 days and is now pulling out of it. Keep in mind, after I started this regiment (including uping her yogurt intake), I closely monitored her to make sure that she got progressively better, not worse. If she had gotten worse, or became lethargic, etc, I would have taken her to a doctor. She never ran a fever with this cold and she got a little better every day.

So, here is her regiment in a nutshell:
1. all the yogurt she wants
2. all the saline nose spray she needs
3. any healthy food she wants (spaghettios, soup, anything with vitamin C)

That's about it for this one! had she been running a temperature I would have given her the proper dosage of Tylenol. If the Fever does not go down with over the counter medication, something else is probably wrong and you should take your child to a doctor immediately. This happened to my son once when the doctor I guess he didn't believe me, so he went on with a 104 degree fever for 4 days and finally checked him out and found that he had Mononucleosis. (yes, the kissing disease) and he contracted this when he was only 2 years old. His doctor said he had never seen mono in a child this young. He contracted it from someone in the daycare (which I pulled him out of), ended up the daycare was on probation for something and when I notified them to tell them to tell the other parents the exposure to mono, they didn't notify anyone.

That is why I am an at home mother now. You can't really trust your kids to anyone. be careful out there!

No comments:

2 years later

2 years later
Healthy and happy now